Sunday, August 06, 2006
I'm a bad groupie...
I think I started an argument on my Due-In-March mom's group. Obviously I haven't been on there long, but when something sets me off I usually can't keep quiet.

Here's the story... I wrote a post asking the other preggo mom's if they were on any type of antidepressants and if they were, was there a type that their doc said to stay away from. I am on Lexapro to help with the depression that i've had since Kyle was born. Everything that i've read on it says that it's not really safe for pregnancy, but i've talked to two different nurse practitioners at my doctors office and they both say it's fine. Now, I already have one child with a birth defect and the other one has ADHD. So, if I can help it, I'd rather not raise the chances of this one being born with a birth defect or emotional problem.

Anyhow, back to the point here. After I sent this post asking for advice, this lady on the group sent me the statistic sheet from Lexapro. Yes, i've already read that... I coulda done that myself. Thanks. Then, a couple of days later she wrote a post saying she was "shocked at how many women were on antidepressants" and that they were "not necessary" and the best and my personal favorite, "What will happen when the stresses of new motherhood hit you?" This totally put me off. I'm sorry, but this woman has no clue as to what we've been through in the last two years between Kyle's three surgeries, hundreds of doctors appointments, Tyler's behavior and my round of radiation and two surgeries. Not to mention both of us losing our jobs, filing bankruptcy, losing our house and cars and being basically financially ruined (thank God that's better now). You go through all of that in two freaking years and then tell me that I should try the homeopathic route instead. Yeah right! I wrote back (very nicely... Okay, kinda nicely.. Okay, maybe not.) that she shouldn't make snap judgements about other's decisions because you never know what that person has gone through or is currently going through. I did apologize at the end of the email saying i'm sorry if I offended anybody, but sometimes these things are not able to be controlled through natural methods.

I did get a lot of support from the other mom's on the group saying that they were on AD's because of chemical imbalances and didn't have any other choice. I felt better about my email after that, until... The other lady responded to my second post, not really saying much and kind of avoiding the whole point of the post, except to say that she had never experienced depression and didn't believe that it was a true illness. Okay Tom Cruise. Why the fuck are you responding to the post if you've never dealt with it and have no basis for your bullshit? Ugh, that shit just pisses me right the fuck off. I just dropped it all after that. I think somebody else chimed in later in my defense telling her to back off if she didn't have something useful to add.

I know that she thought that she was trying to help, but all she did was make me feel like a horrible mom for having to depend on AD's to keep me sane. I still feel somewhat bad about staying on the Lexapro, but at this point I don't trust myself to get off of it. I had extremely bad PPD after Kyle was born (because of his problems and not being able to nurse) and had one episode that scared the shit out of me. Tyler did something (that wasn't even bad) and I got this feeling in my stomach like I had to go hit him. No, I had to go beat him. Thank god Todd was there. I grabbed the keys and took off. The next morning I was in the doctor's office at 8 AM to get on meds. That episode by itself was enough to scare the hell out of me and make me realize that I NEVER want to feel like that again.

Anyhow, do you guys think I over-reacted (if you say yes, i'm going to blame it on the hormones..lol) or was I right in being upset about this?


3 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

I don't think that you overreacted at all. She is clueless.

I just spoke with my ob/gyn about this recently. I knew that you could previously be on wellbutrin while pg and he said that it actually got bumped up to a category c like the rest of the drugs. He said that he has had lots of patients on lexapro and been fine. No problems with the baby either. He said as long as you wait until after the first trimester you should be fine. I totally trust his judgment and would have no problems being on it if he says it's ok.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » » »

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site »

Post a Comment

<< Home